Year of Call: 1972
Inn of Court: Gray’s Inn
Henry Grunwald OBE QC
‘A veteran of serious cases’ – Crime – Leading Silks (Legal 500 – 2017)
He is a Queen’s Counsel and dedicated advocate with forty solid years of experience in high-level criminal work. He has become rightly renowned for his unflappable nature in court. Extremely hard-working and dedicated to doing his best for his clients, and always well-prepared, his many years in practice have seen him defend in very high-profile cases right across the spectrum of offences – from serious frauds to serial killing.
Although London-based, he has appeared in important cases all over the country, most recently in Bristol (murder), Chester (serious fraud) and Sheffield (murder). Described by those who work with him as hard-working and extremely reliable, he has a flair for accurate and meaningful presentations both in court and in conference. Anyone instructing him can have real confidence in their choice.
Henry Grunwald QC is ranked in Chambers and Partners 2018.
- R v. Chattoo  – EWCA Crim 190
- R v. Doyle and Wise  – EWCA Crim 995
- R v. Roper  – EWCA Crim 2858
- R v. Ansell,  – EWCA Crim 2831
- R v. O’Flaherty  – 2 Cr App R 20
- R v. T (Michael John)  – Crim L R 832
- R v. Adams  – Crim L R 292
- R v. Kelt, 65 Cr App R 74
- R v. Landy, 72 Cr App R 237
- QC (1999)
- LL.B (Hons), University College London
- Bencher, Gray’s Inn
- Fellow, University College London
- President, World Jewish Relief
- Chairman, The Holocaust Centre
- Vice-President, Council of Christians and Jews
- South Eastern Circuit
- CyberCrime Practitioners Association
Areas of Specialism
He has defended in many high profile criminal cases at the Old Bailey and nationally, including:
- The ‘witchcraft’ murder (R v Bikubi) of a young boy and the assault and torture of his siblings.
- The honour killing of his daughter by a member of the Kurdish community.
- One of the largest ever drug importations leading to one of the longest ever trials.
Fraud & Commercial Crime
He is regularly instructed for large-scale fraud trails, most recently he achieved an outstanding result for his client in a serious fraud case in Chester.
In July 2018 Henry Grunwald QC presented a lecture, hosted by Kingsley Napley Solicitors, on the subject of Market Manipulation: the risks arising from rumours, soundings and information.
The notes from the lecture can be found by clicking the link below.